Saturday, November 26, 2016

Week 13: Fevers, Humility and Blessings

11/21/16

Friends and Family,

It's been a pretty long week to start off the transfer, but a pretty successful one. We have 7 new investigators, most of whom I actually think will progress, as a result of our efforts to meet the new goals for placing Books of Mormon set by the mission president. We were able to set new baptismal dates for Alexander and his kids. Alexander's is for the 17th of December, just before the end of the transfer, and his kids Nicole and Max have their dates set for the 31st of December. Alexander will be able to get the priesthood and baptize his kids. I really really hope that they'll be willing to put in the effort that it takes to build a testimony.

Our new housemate, Elder Melo, is pretty awesome. He likes to blast his EFY music, and goes through about 2 liters of Mate every other day. He was telling me the other day some of his stories from when he was a sniper in the Brazilian military getting shot at by drug runners. Apparently they got payed super well, because after just a couple years of working, he had enough money to buy a house with only half of what he made.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Mate. While we're allowed to drink it and I have a Mate cup, the mission president strongly advises against it so it's rare for me to drink it.

I had a bit of a humbling experience today (monday). I woke up this morning feeling pretty sick, with headache and a light fever. I was determined to still go out  in the evening and work. There was a counsel in the message from the president that if you have a headache or stomach pain, go out and work regardless and you will feel better. I asked for a blessing from my companion right before we planned to leave. As I shook his hand afterwards, he told me I felt super hot and he made me call the mission nurse. She had me take my temperature and after finding out that I had a fever of almost 102  degrees F, she told me I was "grounded" and not to leave the house. I still feel awful but I was determined to take on the world. It humbled me a little bit and reminded me that I'm neither perfect nor invincible. On the bright side, I have more than enough time to write this letter!

During my time emailing today, I was reminded that Thanksgiving is this Thursday. I thought of President Uchtdorf's talk, "Grateful in Any Circumstance," which says "Being grateful in times of distress does not mean that through the eyes of faith we look beyond our present-day challenges." While my circumstances are less than desireable, I'm grateful for the abundance of blessings in my life. I'm grateful for a loving and supportive family. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to serve my Savior here in Chile. I'm grateful to have been raised in the greatest country in the world by faithful and understanding parents. Always remember that no matter your circumstances there is always something to be grateful for.

Les Amo Mucho,

Elder Jacob Olson

UPDATE
11/26/16

It's Saturday now, and I'm super sorry I wasn't be able to send this week's letter. I was actually stuck in bed sick for a majority of this week. Yesterday was the first time I was able to go out and work, even for a bit.

Note from Elder Olson's Mom: I am grateful for the mission nurse and the counsel she gave for him to stay in bed. His note to me told me he's feeling much better although his fever got up to 103.5 . They think it was some sort of virus. Thankful for those taking care of him down there and I'm glad he's feeling better.

A view of a house from the streets of San Clemente

More streets of San Clemente

Elder Olson's Comp, Elder Santini

Elder Olson and Elder Santini eating Empenadas

Part of San Clemente

No comments:

Post a Comment