Monday, June 18, 2018

week 95: The Beach, The Sacrament, & Fathers

Monday, June 18, 2018 (transcription from Audio letter)

Hey everyone, this is transfer 15 week 6. Elder Olson here, coming to ya from the Playa, oh shoot, the beach, in La Pesca. We just got on the bus and are on the way back to the house in Licanten. So we're riding along the coastal highway that there is here. When I say highway, I use that pretty liberally, it's a tiny little two lane road but it goes right along the coast. So yeah, today is Pday, me and my comp went to the beach. My comp still hadn't been able to go out to the beach this whole transfer. My comp's already seen the beach because he was 3 transfers in a bigger beach sector called (?) but he hadn't had the chance to come out and see the beach of Licanten. So we came out and kind of hung out on the rocks by the beach for a little bit, took some pictures, walked the town here. We got to this fish market where they had a little empanada place right by the side of it where we had some empandas. I had a lobster and cheese empanada and well the other is called marisco, it means seafood, but normally it's like clams and oysters of some kind, so I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Not 100% sure but it definitely came from the ocean. So we took advantage of coming to the beach to eat some seafood. Now we're coming back to Licanten to write and after that probably get some real food. 

So yeah, this week's been a pretty good week. On wednesday, my comp was sick, poor guy. He woke up early in the morning and threw up a couple times but didn't mention anything to me, because I was asleep, but my alarm still went off at 6:30 in the morning so we could go to the gym. And he was like, "Hey, just so you know, I'm not feeling too good." So I was like, alright. So we slept til the normal wake up time which for us is 7. And then I was like hey, what happened? And he was like, I threw up twice and have this huge headache. So I called our district leader and told him we weren't going to be going to the class that day and we just kind of chilled in the house. I did some personal study, cleaned a bunch, kind of took it easy I guess. Not a whole lot to do when your companion is sick. But then, around noon, my companion got up and was feeling better and took some tylenol, and then he seemed super normal for the rest of the day. I don't know what happened there. So the rest of the day, we went out and worked and it turned out super good. So that was Wednesday.

Thursday was pretty normal. We worked in Hualane. On Friday, also pretty normal from what I remember. We had a good day, just contacted a bunch. And then on Saturday, we had set an appointment with an investigator (....gets garbled ...?...) for 4:00 on Saturday. But then on Friday we realized we had an activity in the stake center on Saturday for the whole Stake and they had asked all the missionaries to go, and so we kind of scrambled and changed the time for the appointment. We had a member set to come with us, and we changed it to 12 noon instead of four. We got it all figured out finally, but then got a call from the Zone leaders saying don't worry about coming to the Stake Center if we didn't need to go. So it turned out we didn't end up going to the activity anyway. But we ended up having an awesome lesson before lunch. So the investigator, it turns out, well her mom, is a good friend of the Branch President here, and also she's a teacher and the Branch President's wife is also a teacher, and so they also knew each other. So already have great friendships there. It went really well...the lesson. So that was cool. That was really good.

On Sunday, we had some people come to church. Most of the people who came are people we've been able to get out to church before, all of them actually. Two of them are Hatians and one of them is from Hualane and she (the one from Hualane) she has quite a few attendances, like 7 times she's come to church, but she's living with her boyfriend, and also she has some other more personal problems which are a road block for her getting baptized right now. So we're trying to figure that out. We're trying to help them understand the need to get married or to be separated, but they have kids, but their kids don't live with them, and so it's kind of a more complicated situation. Not just as easy as asking them to separate. But I think that they could get married. I don't think they have anything that's impeding them. They've been together for like 10 years or something like that. 

One of the Haitians, his name is Frisné(?),...I don't know if he's paying for it or if the branch is paying for it, but they got him a house rented. He was living in like a pasture for a while and then was living on the beach, but he really wanted to come back to Licanten. So, they found him a house to rent, and it sounds like he got moved in this week. They found him some blankets and bedding and stuff, so that's good. The Branch President and his wife have almost just adopted him, the Haitian. They invite him to their house. They meet multiple times a week to give him dinner and they take good care of him. He's got his family back it Haiti. He has, I think, 5 kids. The youngest one he doesn't know because he's been here in Chile trying to work. It's kind of a crazy situation. We'd love to get him baptized, but he doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in listening to us. We try to set appointments and he says, "yeah, I'll tell you when I have time." And so that's him. And whenever anybody tells us that, you can count on them not ever putting themselves in contact with us ever. And we still try to pass by once in a while, but he just really doesn't seem to have much interest, but he's come to church also like 5-6 times. But it's very much like, well a lot of the Haitians are generally very willing to come to church. I think for them, you can go to whatever church you want so if they come to our church they're still ok. So listening to the missionaries isn't necessary to them but they might come to church. 

And then that night we had a visit with Karen and Darling, which was great, and talked about the Plan of Salvation a little more in depth. Darling's been studying on Saturdays and has been getting home really late so she didn't come to church this week. So we kind of talked to her about that, about how important it is to come to church and she was like, "yeah, I know." And we talked about the importance of the sacrament, and that repentance, baptism and the sacrament are part of the plan of salvation and how the gospel of Christ teaches us to be clean so we can one day return to live with God and our families together. So we ended up talking about the sacrament, and I said, "Alright, Darling. I don't want to make it sound like we're gonna get after you but I'm gonna get after you a little bit. You've got to come to church." So she was like, "Yeah, I know. This next week I'm coming for sure." But she's great. Her and her mom are great. Her mom goes every single week without fail. But yeah, they understand really well and they're really great. Also, we've been talking a lot about family history with them. Darling has a Family Search account and has all the things there set up and so she printed off a name, tried to get some names for a female ancestor so she can actually do the baptism and got the branch to schedule a temple activity in July so she'll be able to go. And her mom was looking at her younger sister who died, when her younger sister was 8 days old she died as a baby in the hospital. But she has this crazy theory, well it's not that she's crazy, it's just crazy that this might be true, but she thinks that they didn't know that her mom was going to have twins when the younger sister was born. And the second baby was born with a lot of problems and had to go through some kind of surgery and the mom almost passed away also during childbirth. And so, she also kind of wasn't THERE during the whole process and her dad signed some paper giving permission for some surgery and the baby died during the surgery trying to save it's life. But then when they gave the body to their family, they gave it to them in an already sealed coffin. And recently, a lot of reports have come out of cases from about that same time when very similar situations have happened but it turns out 25-30 years later they find out that the baby wasn't actually dead but that it'd been basically shipped off to Europe or maybe even America or some other part of the world and adopted. And so, there's kind of this illegal baby trafficking which was apparently a big problem here in Chile and I imagine in other parts of South America at that time. And then there's also the day on the death certificate was two days earlier than the day that her mom said that they told her the baby had died and some other stuff like that. But basically, it's possible that her baby sister would still be alive somewhere. But I mean, they have a death certificate technically, nobody ever saw the body, but they have a death certificate. So we explained to her that you can just go on as if she's dead, you can't know for sure, as far as at least Temple Work is concerned. And I'm not sure, honestly, I'm going to have to look into what's up with Baptisms for the dead with infants who die. I don't exactly know actually what you have to do there. If they even need to be baptized or not. But yeah, so that was kind of a crazy situation if it were true that her sister survived. 

So, sorry, this is kind a long unorganized letter. But wanted to end with a quick spiritual thought, seeing as how yesterday was Father's day, I wanted to share something that had to do with that. I had a scripture come to mind in Enos 1: 1-3 . 

Behold, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man—for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord—and blessed be the name of my God for it—
And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.
Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.
I love the affect, Enos' father Jacob had on him. The example that he set, and also the great job of teaching his son that he did. And I'm really grateful for a father that has done that also. And I love my dad. He's a great example for me. So Happy Father's Day. And I echo the words of Enos, like when he says that he taught me in his language and also in the nurture and admonition of the  Lord and blessed be the name of my God for it. And I'm grateful to have been born in that situation where I have a father who is so present and is such a great example for me in my life. And I hope that everybody was able to have a good Father's Day this weekend. Hope you all had a great week. Love you all. Take Care! Bye.

Elder Olson

(Elder Olson didn't say but I think the fall in this video is how he rug burned his face in the pic he sent last week)







drawing practice while comp was sick (my mom and dad just in case you couldn't tell)

















No comments:

Post a Comment