Monday, June 4, 2018

week 93: Locals need bus money to get to church

Transcription from Audio Letter June 4, 2018

Hey guys, this is week 4 of transfer number 15.

It's been a pretty normal week. We're here in the cyber. I forgot to, well I didn't make an audio recording before now so trying to make one real quick.

This week I was talking with my comp trying to think of something interesting to tell you guys about. During the week we worked a lot in Hualane,a little town near Licanten. Which went pretty well. We talked with A LOT of people this week. Trying to up our game to find new people. But we feel like since we've been doing that, we've been having the opposite effect. Well, we have this goal as a mission of contacting 200 people every week of the change, and in Licanten there aren't a lot of people there. So we're putting in extra effort, contacting the buses. We stand up and talk to everyone on the bus. Actually on exchanges with another missionary, with Elder Christensen, we stood up at the front of the bus and sang hymn and then went around and contacted everybody on the bus. And yeah, so...we've been trying. We've been trying really hard to find new people.

The new family that I told you guys about, that we found last week, didn't come to church. They said it was because they didn't have money for the bus. So we'll see what ends up happening with them. It really was because they didn't have money, because here that's not such an uncommon thing...that they don't have the four dollars for the round trip. So yeah, we're going to have to see. We haven't been able to have another lesson with them since church yesterday. 

Yesterday we had the devotional. The mission president had asked us to watch that. So that was good. It was cool to see President Nelson's energy again. It always surprises me a little bit...just how much energy he has. And I loved how direct and how specific he was in his challenges for the youth. I think that's great! Especially as a missionary I've seen when we make specific invitations, that's when we're going to act. So I think it's great that he made such specific invitations such as the 7 day social media fast and the weekly sacrifice of time for 3 weeks. I think those are really realistic invitations and I know that we will be blessed for doing them. And I think that they are great ideas. So if any of you didn't see the youth devotional, President Nelson invited the youth to go for 7 days without using any form of social media and for 3 weeks to make a sacrifice of time in doing something they like to do, to use it to serve the Lord or serve others in some way...well to serve others and by doing that we serve the Lord. That can be temple work, that can be actual service, which will be great. So for any of you who didn't see that, I think it's still a really great idea for any of us to try that. I would be doing the 7 day social media fast and the sacrifice of time but I'm doing both already, so there's not all that much I can change to do more than that right now but the other things he said, I'm looking for ways to apply those in my life. He also really called my attention to what his wife said about (ministering?) really impressed me. 

Then this morning we had a little zone activity. We just put on EFY songs and had to interpretive dance to the EFY songs so that was pretty good. Ha. Something a little different. That's about it. We are here in Curico after the activity. I'm probably going to go get a haircut because somebody this week told me my hair was too long, so that means it's time to cut it. 

Alright. Well, love you all. Hope you're all having a good week. Take care! Bye!

Elder Olson




No comments:

Post a Comment