Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Week 20: BE DILIGENT! New Year, New Companion, New Investigator

January 11, 2017

Friends and Fam,

Wow, this week has seriously flown by. Crazy the way time moves in the mission. I feel like I've been in the field for a really long time, but it also feels like I was in the airport in Salt Lake just yesterday. Elder Haar checked our progress tracker on Monday and we're already through 20% of our missions! Wild how this stuff works.

One of the highlights of this past week has been working with Javiera, a new 22 year old investigator who we found this week. I don't want to jinx anything, but I have to say that this girl is GOLDEN. In our fist lesson she pulled out a notebook and started taking notes. She's read each time we leave her with something to read, and she writes the questions she has. We are able to stay on topic during the lessons and the spirit was super strong during our last visit. She actually reared up during the closing prayer. She probably won't get baptized until after I leave San Clemente, but I'm super excited to work with her.

Another highlight of this week has been hearing about all the crazy dreams of the Chileans. I don't know how I've forgotten to mention this earlier, but seriously the majority of the people here believe that they have had some kind of vision through dreams. For example, our Elders Quorum president legitimately believes that he's seen Jesus. Other investigators believe they've seen angels, or the spirit world or even the supposed 7 layers of Hell. We've also had to resolve some doubts of one of our investigators that came from a book she's been reading entitled, "Jesus is an Extraterrestial." Let's just say we have our fair share of work to do thanks to  dreams and somewhat crazy beliefs.

This week I've also been reminded a little bit of the importance of attitude. I've had trouble this week with my motivation to be diligent and really get out and work. I've been a little sick of the lack of progression in my 3 changes in San Clemente, despite my diligent efforts. A scripture that President Harris shared with me reminded me of the reason for diligent obedience. In Jacob 4:5-6, Jacob talks about how his people had to keep the law of Moses, which was scrict and specific and difficult to relate to spiritual progression (a little bit like the rules we follow as missionaries). The reason the Nephites followed this law according to this scripture was to orient their souls toward Christ. I was reminded that even if my diligence wasn't visibly bringing the souls of San Clemente to Christ, if was bringing me closer to Him and that's worth the effort.

I hope that all made sense. Love you guys. Have a good week!

Nos Vemos,
Elder O
Elder Olson and Elder Ramirez (his new comp from Argentina)
Noting the communist party sign in town

Barbeque

Top Dog (Completos)



No comments:

Post a Comment