Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Week 19: Feliz ano nuevo! Happy New Year!

A picture note telling us he wouldn't be able to email until later in the week because of the New Year's holiday. We love that he thinks of us and doesn't want us to worry. His buddy Elder Haar is in the background.

January 3, 2017

Hey everyone,

Feliz ano nuevo! It's crazy that we're starting into a new year. I feel like the time is flying here, but I can't believe I've only been a missionary for a few months. I'm excited about this year as it may be the only full calendar year in my life dedicated to the Lord.

We spent new year's eve in the house. We had to be in the house by 7, so we just made a ton of food, including Choripan, which is basically just hot dogs with shorter sausages and pico de gallo. After eating too much, we went to bed at the normal time. Definitely my most relaxed New Year's in a while.

So hey, I got my new companion this week! He's an Argentinian names Elder Ramirez. So far he's awesome and we get along super well. he's a bit more relaxed and less formal than Elder Santini, which has been a nice change of pace. However, I do have to put in a bit of an extra effort to be diligent with him.

Our other new housemate and comp of Elder Borges is a 6'6" gringo with one change more than me in the mission. He struggles a bit with his Spanish, but is super chill and awesome to have around. A good missionary.

Seeing how my companion is new to the sector, a lot of responsibility falls on me as far as planning and leading the area. It's been good practice for me to have to take the steering wheel for a little bit more. We've been putting in a lot of effort, and we might even be able to get some solid baptismal dates set this week.

As for this week's spiritual thought, we recently shared the Mormon Message entitled "Priveleges" (I think that's what it's called, obviously we share it in Spanish), which portrays a man who goes on a cruise and spends the voyage eating nothing but beans. (Watch the rest to see what he was missing). I also recently watched a devotional from Elder Bednar about the enabling power of the atonement. Often we focus only on how the atonement gives us a remission of sins, and we forget that it can also give us great strength. No matter your trial, pray for strength to overcome it, and it will be given to you. Don't forget about the enabling and strengthening power of the atonement.

Con amor,
Elder O

No comments:

Post a Comment