Thursday, September 22, 2016

Week 4 - 1 month down - in the Mexico CCM

From: Jacob Olson <jacobbrianolson@myldsmail.net>
Subject: Re: Emailing so it gets there
Date: September 22, 2016 at 1:12:07 PM MDT
To: Julie Olson <rjolsonfamily@gmail.com>

Dear Friends and Family,

Sadly this letter is going to be wicked short because i put it off until the end of email time and I want to get a few pics on here. It's been a good week, we've really gotten into the routine and the time is starting to fly.

Speaking of time, I had a pretty clever (yet stupid) idea for a prank involving my comp´s alarm clock. He has one of those clocks with the bells on top that you only ever see in cartoons. We locked it in Elder Haar's closet set to go off at 1:30 in the morning. Super funny, BUT the next night I woke up  at 1:30 to, you guessed it, that same alarm clock. I opened my closet (Elder Musselman being the gentleman that he is pretended he was sleeping through it and I had no problem with taking care of it) and found behind my suitcase on the top shelf the clock, padlocked inside a toiletry bag. I just threw it out into the hall so Elders Haar and Jensen could deal with it, but guys, don't play pranks in the MTC.

This sunday we watched two recorded devotionals from Elder Bednar and Elder Holland. Absolutely fantastic. Bednar's was themed around mosiah 3:19, and focusing on turning outward rather than focusing on yourself. I invite you all to search for specific examples of the savior doing this in His own ministry. We will find the most success when we are absolutely selfless. Elder Holland also gave a quote I enjoyed: "You show me how your obedience is and I will show you how your mission will be.¨" 

I've been trying extra hard to apply these talks to my life. While my comp was practicing the piano (he accompanies the choir) I noticed a man cleaning the auditorium. I asked him using my limited spanish if I could help, and spent the next half hour helping him (his name was Javier) to clean. Also, this week I placed my first Book of Mormon. There is a construction project here at the CCM, for which they use private contractors who are not necessarily members of the church. We stopped to talk to one (named benjamin) and gave him a Book of Mormon. He didn't seem particularly interested, but he took the book. I've just been glad to have some opportunities for some kind of service while I'm still in the MTC.

We also got to participate in a celebration for Mexican Independence Day, which has been our only chance to get a little wild since we've gotten here. I've attached some pics below (I also want you all to notice how scary the way my companion is staring at me in the first picture is...hahaha)

I'm loving the emails/letters/packages im getting from everyone, as well as the updates on BYU football from my fam, so keep it coming.

Les amo mucho,
Elder Olson

Also, Enjoy how fantastically dorky we all are. Love you all <3


P.S. (friends and family) I love getting pictures from you guys so please send me more of those. Thanks <3








No comments:

Post a Comment