Thursday, September 1, 2016

Week 1 : Mexico CCM

A picture we took before Elder Olson left home.
From: Jacob Olson <jacobbrianolson@myldsmail.net>
Subject: Week One Done, Mexico City MTC
Date: September 1, 2016 at 8:51:30 AM MDT

Friends and Family,

Well I've made it to my first P-Day, and I was so grateful to have a chance to read all your emails. I made it here to the CCM (Spanish for Missionary Training Center) without any kind of problem, and I was especially blessed because Delta lost 49 bags but mine all made it safe and sound (although customs did open one of my Christmas presents for me).

So far the CCM has been awesome. The spirit here is absolutely amazing, and every day builds my testimony a little more. All of the teachers here speak very little English, so we've all had to adjust very quickly, but the language really hasn't been too much of a challenge for me so far. Our morning teacher though is fantastic, and we have a lot of fun while learning. We have a deal where she'll "Dab" if she makes a mistake, and it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I won't lie it's been both difficult and even boring at times, but I'm enjoying the experience. There are many devotionals and opportunities to feel the Spirit, and a lot of it has felt perfectly tailored to my personal needs. For example, the theme for this week (not in our lessons, but in things I've personally noticed) has been the power of specific prayer. It has never been easy for me to recognize the Spirit, but specific prayer has always been the easiest way for me to the recognize its promptings. I bore testimony of this in a District meeting, then later that night we coincidentally had a devotional on specific prayer. There have repeatedly been instances throughout the week in which I've prayed for very specific things and each time my requests have been granted.

Another strong theme for this week has been the power of exact obedience. My mom will be thrilled to know that I make my bed every morning, and my dad will be thrilled to hear that I now take showers under ten minutes. Strict obedience to the schedule can be very difficult, as can be staying on task at all times. But one quote has become our motto as a companionship and as a district: "Obedience brings blessings, but exact obedience brings miracles."

My companion's name is Elder Musselman, and I don't know that I've ever met a harder worker in my life. We work really well as a companionship. He has no Spanish experience and is struggling with the language, and I have been able to help him a lot in that respect, and he helps me remember the importance of hard work, doesn't let me slack off, and has done a great job of helping me keep from getting fat. Our district has become a tight knit group, and many districts aren't as good of friends as we are even after several weeks. However, our friendship presents its own challenges, because it is very easy to get off task and off topic.

Luckily the food hasn't totally wrecked my stomach, but several others in my district have gotten rather sick. I've been especially grateful for this because playing sports or lifting weights during gym time is pretty much the only way I'm able to keep my sanity. However, I recommend that you all read Jeremiah 4: 19 - 20 if you want an accurate description of the CCM experience.

I'm running out of time, but hopefully I'll be able to attach some pictures of my district before leaving my hour is up. We have the opportunity to visit the Mexico City Temple today, which I'm very excited for. Although, performing some of the ordinances in Spanish may be somewhat difficult.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy, and there´ll be more experiences to come next week.

I love you all,

Elder Olson

NOTE FROM MOM: I found a service that will print out and deliver emailed letters for free on stationary to the Mexico MTC the next day. They will also deliver specific packages/products you can order from their website. It worked really well. I sent Jacob a letter and a little Fiesta Package of chips, salsa and soda at the end of his first week  in the MTC. Here's the website...www.mtcmexicocarepackage.com/ He will be able to receive things through this site only until October 4th.

Since Jacob couldn't upload any pictures this week, I thought I'd add the pictures I took at his farewell here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment